- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, chilled
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- splash of strongly brewed coffee
- dash of salt
- 2 teaspoons maple flavouring or maple extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut the cold butter into small pieces. Cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- finely chop the pecans, stir them into the flour mixture.
- Mix the egg and cream together, add the mixture to the bowl. Stir together until just combined.
- Turn the mixture onto a cutting board, push the mixture together into a large ball. Do not knead or press too much.
- roll the dough into a 10-inch round, about 3/4 inch thick.
- cut the round into eight equal sized wedges (like a pizza).
- Transfer the wedges to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 22-26 minutes, until just starting to brown. Allow to cool completely before icing.
mix icing ingredients until smooth.
- Pour generously over the scones. Allow the icing to set before serving.
- Optional: Sprinkle chopped pecans over the icing before it sets.