bill c-6 (conversion therapy)
The bill would create five new Criminal Code offences relating to conversion therapy. These are:
- Causing a person to undergo conversion therapy against the person’s will;
- Causing a minor to undergo conversion therapy;
- Doing anything for the purpose of removing a minor from Canada with the intention that the minor undergo conversion therapy outside Canada;
- Advertising an offer to provide conversion therapy; and
- Receiving a financial or other material benefit from the provision of conversion therapy.
Going by the very definition the government has included in the legislation, we are asked to accept that even discouraging someone from “non-heterosexual attraction or sexual behaviour or non-cisgender gender expression” is a criminal act of conversion therapy.